The words of Much Ado About Nothing are so familiar to me. I watched the 1993 version so many times. It was the reason I wanted to travel to Italy. In 2012 Joss Whedon remade it, set in modern day LA and it’s equally fantastic. The words are the same – the magic is still there.
This is how I am ringing in the New Year. I’m sitting on my living room floor, surrounded by words and pictures clipped from magazines or printed out. These are making their way onto the 2015 Vision Board – a favorite annual tradition. I have the obligatory champagne with a splash of pomegranate juice and jewel-like pomegranate seeds flit around the bubbles of the glass. Familiar chorus of Shakespeare, favorite drink, fire in the fireplace and Vision Board scraps. And a feeling of contentment and determination that is strongest on this night.
2015. A year yet to be defined. Romantic and mysterious new beginnings! And all that jazz.
Recapping 2014 is unnecessary. It’s all here in this silly blog, right? Let’s take a different approach.
Favorite moment of 2014: The Tinkerbell and Princess 10K/half marathon weekends. (Recaps here and here) They were Life To Do List items. The Tink one led me to one of the best races I’ve run. The Princess one brought me a super fun vacation with my best friend.
Favorite new person of 2014: A tough one since I met so many new friends this year – but hands down the winner is my niece Avery! I love this tiny person and am so happy to be a part of her life as godmother.
Favorite new place I visited: Los Angeles. I am a person who loves movies and old Hollywood and it is about time I got out that way. I only spent a very brief time exploring during the time I was out there for the Tinkerbell runs, but I can cross it off as done.
Favorite new place in town: Cray Eatery and Drinkery. It’s a bar that does a lot of tasty infusions (cranberry gin and tonic was a holiday favorite) and delicious sliders.
Favorite new song: I Wanna Get Better by the Bleachers. It’s fun to run to. It feels empowering to shout/sing it.
Favorite new skill learned in 2014: Fire building. Duh. I can safely say I had never built a fire before this year. And right now I am staring at a really beautiful and well burning blaze. One that will not need tending or poking for a while. It’s so great.
Most frequented location in 2014: Lowe’s. I’m not proud of that – mostly because sometimes it meant I was there 3 times a day while working on the kitchen and not realizing I needed something. Thank goodness for living one mile from the place.
Best purchase of 2014: My house. I have a way of settling in emotionally with places I live. Loved the last house I shared with Ex Hubs, was practically in a relationship with the apartment above the coffee shop I lived in right before moving to Columbus, and now here. This is my house. I knew it for sure just about five weeks ago when some friends came over for dinner, two people who were here for the first time. Kevin walked in and said, “What a cozy place.” That is my favorite house compliment. I want my home to be warm and comfortable to me and to visitors.
Most surprising purchase of 2014: Oh man, all the random tools I’ve bought that come with home ownership. Electric tree trimmer and tile saw and such.
And let’s flip the story a little – what am I looking forward to in 2015 right now?
– Two scheduled trips to Las Vegas, both for work – but Vegas is always a good idea and I have some old casino friends I can visit and catch up with.
– Harry Potter murder mystery weekend. Yup. That’s a thing and I’m going. So excited to see this fun castle/lodge south of Columbus and spend a weekend having some silly make believe good times. In general I want to play more in 2015.
– The big vacation. I’m currently narrowing down options for a longer vacation later in the year. The options are Madrid, St. Lucia or Costa Rica. I had coffee with my friend Lisa yesterday and she made a good point about Costa Rica being a spot that I might want a buddy to take pics of me while I’m ziplining through a rain forest or to know I’ll like at least one person if I’m on a group tour. They were good points. Apartment for a week looking out over Madrid or this wellness/health resort in St. Lucia – what to do, what to do.
– Downton Abbey returning! What happened to Edith’s man?! Can Anna and John Bates just have a normal life for a while? Who will Lady Mary choose to woo her? Man, I love some Downton.
– Group running! I joined a running group that starts on Jan 10. I look forward to the schedule and accountability and coaching that this running group offers.
– Picking up knitting again. It’s a hobby I like and I stopped doing it. Look for it to make a glorious return in 2015.
– Slowing down. I’m looking forward to being more present this year. Reading the books that have backed up on my Kindle, getting more sleep, and thinking about how the decisions I make affect not only present me, but future me. Every decision matters.
Happy New Year, lovelies. Start strong.
And with that, I need a champagne refill.