I can’t exclaim “It’s all done” regarding the entire kitchen quite yet – but I can say that about the tiling! And that means I am about 93% done with the whole room. Man, has this been a full weekend of tiling fun. I left off last night with the thin set mortar drying overnight after all the tiles were on the wall, but having realized there was a problem with the outlets.
Did not adjust for outlet plate.
After I wrote last night’s post and had another glass of wine, I googled what to do about this. In my head the outlet and switch plates would go on top of the tile, but the outlet box is recessed in the wall. I’d have to mount the outlet box differently so it stuck out some and was flush with the tile – otherwise there is a giant gap between the plate and the outlet. No good. Being wine confident, as I was last night, I decided to check this out, so I unscrewed the outlet, realizing the top of the outlet was stuck under some mortar… anyway, long story short, I ended up unintentionally popping off a tile, so that is how I decided to pop the others off around it and trim them this morning.
I bought a wax pencil to mark the tiles as I worked. I thought this came in handy.
I’ll come back to the outlets later. This is not the last time they will annoy me.
Before – and here is a better look at the trim work I put on the sink wall at the very top. It’s like a little surprise for anyone ducking down where they’d see it.
Here we go!!
It took a 2 feet section for me to find my groove. It seemed like those first couple feet took me forever. It got easier pretty quick.
Sink wall done first…working behind the new goose neck faucet was tricky.
Aaaand stove wall done! This side flew by. Nothing in the way on this side.
It took about 2 hours to grout both walls. Then almost another hour fiddling with the outlet covers. As I finished the tiling I found myself wondering if I would grout around them or caulk around them. I took it to the Google. This is where I realized I’ve pretty much done the outlets all wrong. I really should have figured out how to remount them. Oh well. That’s probably the only thing about this project that I’m not super thrilled with. I’m only mildly thrilled with them. I decided to grout between the outlet/switch cover and the tile and it looks fine.
Stove side done!
Sink side done!
I’m sure I should have the ambition to take on the floor, but I just don’t right now. I don’t know exactly what kind of tile I’d put down and I need to figure out how to work around or under the appliances. I’m not sure the floor can be a solo job.
Once I’m finished accessorizing the kitchen (curtains, a print or two near the coffee pot, and not much else really. Trying to keep clutter off the counters since they’re so small.) I’ll put up some final photos.
Some takeaways -
- I’m covered in several small cuts from where pieces of porcelain flew from the tile saw and hit me. They’re small, but I should probably wear better protective gear next time.
- Similarly, I’m surprised I didn’t poke an eye out with flying bits of tile as well
- Tiling a floor is not like tiling a backsplash so perhaps I could have done a little more research on this process so I could have used mastic or figured out the outlet situation before hand. I just kind of dove into it this weekend.
- The tile saw proved worth the buy. Renting one was at least $50 for 4 hours. That would have been a pain in my neck yesterday and I wouldn’t have had it around this morning when I needed to re cut some of the tiles. Buying it was only $100 and when I eventually take on the floor, or the fireplace surround, I’ll be glad I have it.
Final recap coming!